Sunday, April 19, 2009

I spent the day with missionary friends in Acuna, Mexico, yesterday. This is one of the few safe areas and cities on the border at the moment. I saw several answers to prayer--I had joined my hosts in praying for a grandfather and his disabled son who live in a cardboard shack. My friends were so concerned because it had rained a lot the last two days, and rain is not a friend of cardboard. When we got to that place (getting there is another whole story), the incredible love of the Lord was demonstrated. The day before, a construction crew of teenagers had come from the "hill country" in Texas, and had already poured a concrete slab, and constructed a house! They were putting in windows and doors, installing drywall, and painting the outside while we were there. What a blessing!
I met two of the Mexican pastores and went for several visits to their congregations. My friend Janice is a nurse, and she regularly visits these people, changing dressings, bringing diapers and medicines (from Kingsway Charities, usually) and treating whatever problems they find. We delivered bags of rice and beans to each of the families, and Janice and Bill also brought a bag of glasses, which several of the people found to be a great blessing. I also had the joy of giving away two large stuffed toys (donated by Matt & Anastasia) to one of the families with stair-step children. Janice also had a bag of handmade wooden toys donated by someone in her Mother's church. So each child we visited got a toy.
At each house, the pastor introduced me as "Jean, who came from far, far away to see you." It humbled me to see their gratitude, especially from one very old lady whose body barely made a bump in the blanket covering her. She motioned me to come close, so I bent to kiss her cheek, and she covered my cheek with kisses. Her caretaker daughter told us that the ancient one had been despondent because no one comes to see her. I think I had more tears in my eyes than she did. But the greatest joy came from watching the gentleness of the pastor as he smoothed the hair from her face and spoke softly close to her ear in Spanish that sounded to me like a smooth, deep, peaceful river.
We came home late and tired, but what a day! Today is Sunday. We will go to church today here in Del Rio, then return to Acuna.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Mom! That is awesome! I am so excited for you, that the Lord is using you in a powerful way wherever you go! What a blessing :)

    ReplyDelete