Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Aunt Dean

Tuesday, May 19

It took longer than I expected to travel the winding and hilly roads between Ft. Smith and Hot Springs, Arkansas, so I arrived at Aunt Dean's house a few minutes before noon. I walked up to her patio and found her asleep in a chair there. I called to her softly, and she immediately woke up and smiled at me. She looks older than when I last saw her, (25 years ago, I think), but she still looks like the woman I remember. I, on the other hand, have changed a great deal in this amount of time. We talked about the memories I have of her mother and father, and she really enjoyed and remembered many of the same things, and told me more that I never heard before. Then her youngest daughter, who lives across the street from her, came over to check on who the stranger was visiting her mom, and I met my cousin that I hadn't seen before. Her name is Marlene, and she provided me with address and phone links to the rest of my cousins on Aunt Dean's side. Aunt Dean wanted me to see another of my cousins who lives across town, so she came with me and gave me driving directions. She is over 90 years old, and is very fit and mentally sharp, although she will have surgery tomorrow to remove a cataract that has obscured her vision in one eye. I was able to pray for her about that before I left. I feel so blessed and honored to have found and spoken with two of my aunts, at my age! Can you feel the praise in my heart, can you imagine the hallelujah dance going on in my mind, even though I am too tired to do it physically tonight? Praise the Lord!

2 comments:

  1. What a reunion this has been, Jean, and what an even greater reunion we'll all have in heaven one day. This is just a glimpse.
    I love you sis!
    Kecia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still hope to connect via email about the Bryant - Harvey limbs on your family tree

    ReplyDelete