Saturday, May 16, 2009

Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Bears

Thursday, May 14

Today was very interesting. On our way to the giant-sized mountain sculptures, Jiffy and I drove through a place called Bear Country, where the humans stay in their cages, (the cars) and the wild animals are free and roaming around. We saw elk, reindeer, wolves, mountain lions and a plethora of bears. Jiffy growled and was ready to fight the wolves and bears. He especially did not like the bears, because they approached our cage with a cheeky impudence. Quite a photo op, especially when I saw two of the bears, cranky with the end of hibernation, rear up and trade punches.

I saw Mount Rushmore for the third time in my life. They have built a much more substantial and interesting viewing plaza than when I was there 40+ years ago. The faces are still the same - majestic. Crazy Horse, only 17 miles away, is impressive, but unfinished. It may take another 50 years at the rate they appear to be going, but they now have specialized tools and more funding, so it may be going faster now.

Trouble developed on the way to Cheyenne: the car had a warning light come on, and according to the owner's manual, it indicates problems with the transaxle. I think that means the transmission. I called Jonny, my son, who gave me some mechanical advice, but more importantly, prayed with me. I had stopped at a service station, so I turned the car off and went in and asked for the number of a mechanic I could call after hours. When I went back out and started the car again, the warning light was off. Jonny told me to drive at 60 mph to avoid stress on the transmission, and I did that all the way to Cheyenne. I think God answered our agreeing prayers. But it is interesting to me again, the demonstration that faith is so much easier in theory than in fact!

No comments:

Post a Comment