Sunday, May 3, 2009

Home to Klamath Falls

To my relief, it was sunshiny when we left Fresno at 8:15 Friday morning. The drive to the foothills of the Sierras was through beautiful groves of orange trees, almond trees, and pomegranite trees. The last was new to me and I had to ask what they were at a fruit stand. These were interspersed with grape vineyards. I don't know if it is a tradition, or just the custom for one vineyard, but at the end of each row of grape arbors was a rose bush bearing deep red roses. Days of wine and roses?

Well, I should have expected it, the climb to view the waterfalls and cataracts in Yosemite was up 7000 feet of switchbacks. But the beauty and wonder of God's mighty creation and continuing display of power was worth it! When I came through a tunnel at the highest point and got out to photograph the waterfall on the mountain opposite, it just then started to rain. So all the rest of my pictures of Yosemite probably have rain drops on them. It was beautiful, but I came down praying for safety on the wet pavement, puntuated by praises for the beautiful sights around most every turn, even in the rain.

When we finally got down, around 2:30 p.m., we began the trip to Klamath Falls. I stopped with great relief at Danny's house around 11:00 p.m. We talked until 2 a.m., but I wasn't driving on a dark wet road any more, and felt euphoric! This is the longest amount of driving I have done in a single day.

Saturday morning, I called and set up times to visit people I love here, and Roger and Carolyn took Danny and me out for lunch. It was good to see my brother again. I was glad Danny was there to help carry the conversation, though, because I began to get sleepy and lost track of the discussion a couple times. I really love to hear Danny's stories best, stories of the people and incidents he has actually known and lived. I think he should write a book, but he thinks he would be sued or shot if his viewpoints were published. Maybe he's right.

This morning, Sunday, I went to church at Shasta Way here, the church where I was a charter member when it began in the 50's. Some of the people who were my Sunday school teachers were there, and a neighbor who lived on the farm behind ours. He talked to me about my Dad, and told me about some of the pastoral calls he and dad made together as elders to help in the hard times of members of the church, and how he respected Dad's advice and prayers in those situations. What a blessing! The Lord gave me two other viewpoints that are a deep help and encouragement to me and my prayer life, using these dear people, who are becoming so frail. I know that I'll see them again, but maybe not in this world.

I had lunch and a two hour catch up chat with my friend Carole. How good it is to have instant rapport with someone who shared deep friendship and child rearing times. She held on to me in times when I was in clinical depression, and pulled me through some very bad times with her prayers and bright spirit. She taught me a lot, how to can vegetables and marvel at the beauty of beets and carrots standing in proud rows on a sunny counter, and how to pronounce almonds correctly. I learned of her private prayer needs, and cried when we had to part again.

I had another Divine Appointment this afternoon with with a woman that a week ago the Lord told me to visit when I got here. She is going through a rough experience, one that I have walked through and finally gained the victory, with God's help. I was able to pray with her, and give her a little encouragement and love. She said she remembers me often, as a bright light. Even though you don't know her, please add your prayers to mine that she will finally emerge victorious. She has already made some progress from when I last saw her. Also pray for her sons.

Tomorrow I'll leave for Crater Lake, if I can get in. They have snow. Then on to the Columbia River. Ho hum. More waterfalls! Also, more rain, according to the weather report.

1 comment:

  1. THIS IS YOUR YOUNGER COUSIN, MARK. I AM SO THRILLED YOU GOT TO SEE MOM (AND DAVE AND GLENDA). I'VE WANTED TO CONNECT WITH YOU FOR SO LONG. I HAVE RESEARCHED OUR BRYANT ANCESTRY A BIT AND PRAISE GOD FOR THE GODLY HERITAGE WE HAVE. I have photos of Grandma Sarah Mannin Bryant..do you need any?

    ReplyDelete