Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Yellowstone National Park

Tuesday, May 12



Jif and I had an interesting experience touring Yellowstone today. It was snowing and very cold, except for the hot springs and geysers that dot the mountain sides. I was wishing they had used some of the technology that Klamath Falls employed years ago to heat the roads and sidewalks with the natural steam. At least we didn't have to put the newly purchased chains on. We saw buffalo, which should turn out good in the pictures, because some were right in front of the car. Jiffy thought that was entirely too close! We had difficulty finding a place for him to walk, what with hot springs everywhere, and when I finally found a pullout with some nice woods and grass, with an overgrown path to a visible pond a short distance away, a posted notice had us scurrying back to the car. The notice said that this area was a nutrient rich feeding area for bears emerging from hibernation. I was pretty glad we didn't see any bears. We did see elk, but the pictures of those might not be so good, they blend in to their scenery.



We went in at the northern gate, and I had hoped to leave by the eastern gate, to go to our hotel in Cody, but that route was closed by snow. The north eastern gate was open, but I would have to go back into the teeth of the storm we went through on our way to Old Faithful, so I chose the wimpy way and we exited at the western gate. This meant we had to drive all the way around the park, which is huge! We arrived at the motel at 10:30 last night. I'll be glad to head south again soon, and although I didn't think this time would come, with only a week left of my Great Adventure, I'm beginning to get homesick!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Cousin, I'm glad you are having this great adventure--because I have located you! My brother Dave gave me an email address-but it seems to be wrong as my emails aren't getting delivered. Cousin Mark Harmon mnvharmon@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Mark! I think my e-mail people are confused, they are not accepting the correspondence I want, but are accepting all the junk! It is good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete